Orrington Elementary School History
The land where Orrington Elementary School now sits was the site of a Potawatomi village and burial ground. From 1828 until it was sold in 1844, the land was owned by Archange Oilmette, a Potawatomi woman who married a French Canadian fur trader and served as a translator and guide. Orrington Elementary School opened in 1912 when this area’s population began to grow.
Some milestones the school’s history include:
| 1932 | Orrington creates a food donation program for the underprivileged |
|---|---|
| 1964 | Orrington implements a French culture program to teach children French during the summer |
| 1967 | Princess Irene of Greece comes to Orrington for a concert |
| 1969 | Orrington begins a program to allow children to learn to read at their own pace according to their current level |
Orrington Lunt
The school is named after Orrington Lunt (1815-1897). Initially a grain merchant, Orrington became one of the founders of Northwestern University. He was also known as the “father of Evanston.” Orrington was initially asked to lend his name to the new town, but he declined, and the town became “Evanston.” Orrington Avenue in downtown Evanston also bears his name.
The D65 School History project is the result of a partnership with Evanston History Center. This research was completed by the Evanston History Center with research contributions by by Perrine Tran (Evanston Township High School class of 2026).
School History
Interested in the history of other District 65 schools?
Chute Middle School, originally named Oscar M. Chute Junior High, opened in 1966.
Dawes School is named after U.S. Vice President General Charles G. Dawes.
Dewey Elementary School was the first school in Evanston to have a kindergarten.
In 2004 Dr. Bessie Rhodes became the first Black woman to have a school named after her in Evanston.
The original King Lab was located in what is now Family Focus.
Ellen Foster, the first principal, viewed the school as a community hub.
Haven Middle School was initially built to serve students from two school districts.
Joseph E. Hill became Evanston's first Black superintendent of schools in 1975.
Namesake Homer Kingsley started the first Evanston public school kindergarten in 1882.
In the 1890s, children voted to name their new school "Lincoln" after the U.S. President.
The name incorporates nearby geographical features: Lincoln Street and a wooded area.
Frederick Nichols worked closely with the architect to create a school full of treasures.
Oakton is home to murals created by the Works Progress Administration in the 1930s.
Orrington's site was previously home to a Potawatomi village and burial ground.
The predecessor to Park School was established in 1949 by a group of parents.
The school was named after Chicago-area philanthropists Daniel and Ada Rice.
Walker opened to address rising enrollment due to the baby boom generation.
The yellow brick building on the corner of Main and Ashland is the original school.
The school was named after world-renowned social reformer Frances Willard.
